Well I already started revealing some of this in maxuhmilian's Xbox 360 in an iMac G3 thread, so here goes.
I am working on fitting a PC into an iMac G3. It will have the following specs:
- Windows 7 Ultimate
- 2.66ghz Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 (will be overclocked to 3.33ghz, possibly higher we'll see )
- ATI Radeon HD4670
- 6gb RAM (4gb and 2gb stick)
- 460w Cooler Master power supply
- 1tb 7200rpm hard drive
- Integrated speakers will still work
- Integrated mic will still work
- Power light/button will still work
- 15" 1024x768 LCD monitor
- Blue and white case lighting
Pics: (because a build log is boring without them)
Here you can see the screen installed into its frame, this is where the CRT was mounted before.
It fits perfectly in the inner (structural) bezel, but the outer (decorative) bezel needs a bit of trimming.
Here I'm testing the motherboard, graphics card, large CPU cooler (dual 92mm fans!), and PSU for fit:
This is where the 200mm exhaust fan will be mounted:
Here's how I mounted the monitor and its driver components (strips of wood, a few screws, and hot glue):
Angle view with everything except monitor in place (nothing mounted yet, just setting there):
Here's a possible easy access drive-tray-style mounting of the hard drive. It wouldn't stick out this much, it can be pushed in to be just barely sticking out from the back.
- Finish side port panel
Secure power jack
- Mount 200mm exhaust fan
- Mount motherboard/psu
Buy speaker amp/build headphone amp/get volume knob ready
- Mount front USB ports (in the CD drive slot, since there won't be a built-in CD drive)
- Wire up power light/switch
Wire up microphone
- Install case lighting
- Mount hard drive