- Found glitch where Hotel Progress lights weren’t being updated correctly (used wrong variable!)
- Making RGB lights fade to black during ball drain (resumes default color on ball re-load)
- Found stupid bug where I typed ’48′ instead of ’0′, thus preventing the Skill Shot prompt from working (“I sense a ghost in the pop bumpers!”)
We won “Best Custom Game” at Midwest Gaming Classic, yahoo!
Getting back to work on code, not going as full-bore as last week, still, stuff needs to get done!
- At the request of Steve Ritchie, added more sound / increased warning for the scoop kickout. Increased flasher amount, and added strobing the scoop lights to draw attention (so player can catch the ball)
- A multiball earned and started during War Fort could continue on past end of mode. Doesn’t break the game, but would allow the player to possibly start other modes with a multiball still active (not supposed to happen)
- Fixed this bug by turning it into a “feature” Normally it takes 3 hits to defeat Army Ghost. If multiball active, you can hit him as many times as you want until you’re down to one ball, in which case final hit ends mode. This would allow for many more jackpots than mode currently provides. Strategic!
- With hellavator up / jackpot lit, Call Button is now disabled until you collect jackpot (makes it easier to collect since you can’t miss and hit Call Button)
- Added a prompt if you hit Call Button when it’s disabled “Collect Jackpot to Enable Call Button” Always tell players WHY they can’t do something / why it doesn’t work.
- Found some states where ball will remain trapped if a Tilt occurs. Planning to debug those out next.
Now we’re really testing out the game! This is the first production game so some of the mechs behave differently from both my prototype game and the one on location.
- Increase scoop flasher warning time. The new right scoop is FAST so players need more warning to catch it. This was a Steve Ritchie suggestion BTW.
- Slings are far too strong. They make the ball far too wild and cause outline drains. I will reduce their power in code before our seminar at noon.
- AV kernel needs a heartbeat watchdog, it did lock up a few times.
- Extended sneeze guard behind ghost. There’s a barrier to keep the ball from getting trapped behind door, but we forgot to add it on this brand new game. It should also extend to the right a bit so balls can’t get trapped behind ghost.
- Adjust timer so ball search occurs sooner.
- Adjust timing on ball drain solenoids.
- Look into why PWM for the hold coils works on my prototype game but not production one.
- Make sure Chuck gets the good, self cleaning leaf switches.
The last day to debug before MGC! We’re heading over Friday morning to get set up, so by the afternoon we can relax. Bring my tabletop Neo Geo mini arcade if anyone wants to buy it.
- Made sure all timed modes award extra points for whatever seconds you had remaining on the shot.
- Added a Super Jumps progressive combo on the right orbit jump shot – 500k advance in Theater Mode, 100k advance with no modes active. Spam that shot! (good luck)
- Fixed glitch where Extra Ball light would be on after a mode ends if you collected it during a mode.
- Added additional shift out for new GI lighting. This affected timing (since it’s always running) so adjusted timed light show on Multiball.
- Added more lightning FX for the animated backbox. Will add more after MGC.
- Fixed a bug where if ball didn’t trap successfully to start Haunted Bar the mode would get messed up. It now does a Dirty Pool detect, and if ball indeed trapped, starts mode. Else, targets go down so you can shoot it again to trap.
We finished our episode project early, so I’ve got more time these last 2 days to code.
- You can open a serial terminal and send commands to the pinHeck system. Improving command parser.
- Felix is working on an Android tablet app that will allow remote debugging via Bluetooth. Will hopefully be able to have a small demo ready for MGC.
- Did Bluetooth test – commands working. Need to make command system more verbose & garbage sensitive but good enough for now.
- Still working on Match animation bug. Running through all animations to make sure it isn’t a file issue (NOTE-IT WAS)
- FINALLY found match animation bug problem! My file system is fairly stripped down, can’t follow cluster chains for instance. Usually not an issue as we copy entire SD card at once. The folder containing the Match animations also has a lot of other stuff in there. As I added files, the total # of files in that folder went past 64. 64 filename @ 32 bytes per entry = 2048 which must be past a cluster limit for FAT32. Thus, my system got lost and couldn’t find files near the end. That was the only DMD folder with over 64 entries so probably why I haven’t run into this before.
- Solution was to create a new folder (_DN) to hold the 10 match animations.
- Added bubble sort to high score entry, so best score is entered first.
- Added very conservative times to allow EEPROM to store high scores (EEPROM writes are slower than reads)
- Improving timing for Prison Ghost mode start
- Added Video Queue Kill on Prison Ghost ball locks to avoid lag video problem
- Added “dead shot” sound when hitting already cleared Prison Ghost targets
- Added more looping video prompts of how to beat Prison Ghost
- Fixed glitch where a combo shot changing before collect would erase Tour Location Lights during modes
- Found issue where multiball starting AND ending during stackable modes could cause wrong music to play.
- Spirit Guide (Random Award) can be collected during some modes. Created “quickie” version of animation/sound for these occasions (mostly for flow, also because award would get cut off by other videos)
It’s audio video day on Debug Week From Hell. I can only program so long as I must do laundry tonight, meaning I have to be home, awake, for at least 2 hours. Might take a Titanfall break.
- Working on name entry bugs – transitions from name entry screen to Match screen back to attract mode.
- Working on high score EEPROM write bug.
- Speeding up time between last ball drain and name entry / Match animation.
- EEPROM appears to be fine, it’s the final videos of a game / transition back to Attract Mode that is mucked up. Time to un-muck.
- A gift to myself – I can go home as soon as I figure out this particular bug (since it’s the only game-breaking A/V locking-up one left)
- Speeding up time between drain / next ball or player (bit of a blank there!)
Need to get more sleep. Will try and goto sleep by 10 PM tonight. We’ll see.
- Making sure Extra Ball being lit doesn’t negatively affect Spooky Door logic in any mode. EB can only be lit during some active modes, but it MIGHT be lit going into a mode, so we have to assume that could happen.
- Making sure earning a Multiball during eligible modes doesn’t affect door logic.
- Noticed that multiballs can be “carried out of” the Army Ghost mode. Not sure if that could break the game or not.
- Maybe allow as many hits on Army Ghost as you want (instead of the usual 3) as long as you’ve got 2 balls or more? That could be cool.
- Found glitch where Spirit Guide (Stroke of Luck shot) isn’t enabled after defeating Hotel Ghost. Glitch made me realize the spiritGuideEnable() function had a critical error where it could actually DISABLE spirit guide if you enabled when the player didn’t have one earned.
- Found glitch where leftmost camera icon stays on after Hotel Ghost. Think it might have something to do with active combos stored along with lamp state at start of mode… Yup that was the problem.
- Hotel Mode was the only mode that called storeLamps BEFORE comboKill, so we’re good to go now.
- When MB is stacked with modes, you collect Jackpot in Hellavator. But also need to be sure Jackpot Value can be advanced during other modes (not just plain vanilla MB)
- Stacked MB jackpot increase with Ghost Euthanize mini-mode shot for Hospital Mode.
- Fixing final glitches with Hospital Ghost Mode.
- Fixed issue where Combo Shots timing out would erase blinking Tour Mode lights
Turns out of you have a Windows 8 laptop with touchscreen, you can go back and forward in Chrome by dragging your finger left and right across the screen. That’s kinda cool.
- Minion MB working well.
- Hellavator MB working well. Fixed glitch where Minion Targets were erased on Hellavator MB start.
- Improved end of mode code for Photo Hunt. If I have time, might re-stack it with Ghost Minion Mode.
- When Hell MB is stacked with eligible modes, it needs a way to advance jackpot value. Going to look into it, “nice to have” not a bug…
- Working on code to prevent Pop Bumper videos / number displays from overriding prompts when shooting up center shot (it leads to pops, so that’s the issue)
Ah, the umpteenth consecutive Saturday I’ve been at my shop working.
- Looking into music play bug (nope, it was a different mistake, myself forgetting to mask off a bit)
- Rewrote Minion and Hellavator multiball end code to clear things up
- Realized using same variable for # of locked balls and how many balls to autolaunch was really stupid.
- If Hell MB starts, active minion lights get erased – need to fix
- Added more prompts for “dry” scoop shots, adding time to Photo Hunt, and Ghost Prison Escape
- Making sure Hellavator Multiballs stacks perfectly with the modes it can stack with (Hospital, War Fort, Haunted Bar, Minion Battle)
- Fixed glitched with “Lock” staying lit even with Hellavator in down position
- Think I know why that combo light is staying on! That’s what happens when code gets too old – you forget what did what.
- Probably won’t enable Wizard Mode or Video mode for MGC – more important that the 99% of the game people will actually see works perfectly!
- Found glitch where Minion Multiball ending would prevent Spirit Guide from being collected until another mode started – whoops!
Lots of 4′s in today’s date!
The first prototype AMH has been on location for 2 weeks now. It’s had a few wear & tear issues (same game that went to Expo, Ball Crawl and Christmas Party) but overall quite solid.
I have what should be the final production board in my prototype programming game at my shop.
Current debug state:
- Defeating the 3rd or 9th Minion gets you Minion Multiball, which can stack with Hellavator Multiball or Ghost Photo Hunt. Making sure stacking works right.
- Extremely unlikely, but possible, that you can start a Minion MB while Hellavator MB is still loading balls. Making sure correct # of balls are added.
- Making sure modes active when you go into Minion MB work correctly when it ends.
- Found possible bug with Minion Mode enable after defeating Theater Ghost.
- Setting Multiball states to bitwise operations
- Game won’t start without 4 balls in trough. BUT, still making sure Mulitball Modes (especially ones that stack) only try to kick out what balls are actually available. Because you never know!
- Found glitch where collecting an Extra Ball during a mode prevents Door from being re-opened.
- Improved timing for Ghost Prisoner and Captured team member callouts in Prison Mode.